Judge Orders Man to Repay Debts with Poker
In a court ruling straight out of the Wild West, Samuel McMaster struck a deal with New Mexico authorities that allows him to remain free provided he makes monthly payments of $7,500 to the 20 victims he swindled in a securities fraud scheme. And the method McMaster will use to make restitution: POKER!
The 59 year-old stockbroker/poker player will still be forced to have his day in court and could face up to 12 years in prison for the 26 felony charges he has piled up. However, the severity of his sentencing likely has everything to do with his ability to repay the estimated $444,000 he stole from his clients.
The plea deal gives McMasters a 6-month stay of execution on his sentencing –basically a chance to prove he can repay his debts through poker—but if he misses two monthly payments he will have to return to court for immediate sentencing. It is not clear if he will be playing at any ofthe online poker sites.
It’s unclear how strong of a poker player McMasters is, and it seems he only turned to poker after being banned from trading securities, but I find it hard to believe that he will manage to earn some $10,000/month — $,7,500 of which goes to repayment and I’ll assume he needs a minimum of $2,500/month to live on– from poker in what amounts to a do-or-die situation.
Tags: poker debt
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …