Republican Congressman to introduce online gambling legislation
There was good news coming out of Washington DC on Friday for online poker players as Congressman John Campbell (R-CA) announced his plans to introduce yet another online gambling bill to Congress. Campbell is teaming up with Barney Frank (D-MA) to introduce the legislation in a bipartisan fashion.
Both Campbell and Frank sit on the House Financial Services Committee, and it was Campbell who offered up amendments to Franks’ proposed online gaming legislation during the last session of Congress that was able to get the bill (HR 2267) out of the committee phase.
According to the PPA, Campbell’s bill looks to make a number of changes to the proposed legislation that was introduced by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid during the lame-duck session last December. Among the changes in the Campbell/Frank legislation will be:
· Elimination of the 15-month “Blackout” period
· Allowing worldwide customers
· An increase to the number of States that would automatically opt-in
· Establishing a tax system for players
· Ensuring that current online poker providers to US players are not unfairly discriminated against
The good news is that online gambling proponents have not given up the fight, despite major setbacks in 2010; the bad news is that regardless of whether or not the bill makes it out of the mark-up phase, it’s up to Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-OH) to decide if it gets brought to the house floor for a vote –and then it would be on to the Senate where Harry Reid would likely try to alter the bill to something more in-line with his proposed legislation of a few months ago.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …