Hidden Headlines: POY update, Merge cuts rake and more
Since Bluff Magazine started their Player of the Year award back in 2005, only one poker player has managed to win both the Bluff and Cardplayer POY award in the same year, John Phan in 2008. Now there is a third entity in the Player of the Year business, the Global Poker Index (GPI), and in the very first year that three POY trophies will be awarded it looks as if one man will walk away with all three, Dan Smith.
Smith is leading Marvin Rettenmaier in the Bluff race by nearly 200 points (1,288 to 1,090); Smith has a nearly 1,000 point lead over Kyle Julius in the Cardplayer standings (4,625 to 3,752); and leads Julius by over 100 points on the GPI (1,044 to 906).
Massive rake drop in Limit games on the Merge Gaming Network
One way to attract new customers is by charging less for your product or service, and this is precisely what the Merge Gaming Network has done with their announcement that they would be altering their rake structure for low- and mid-stakes Fixed Limit games on the site, resulting in a drop of up to 50% in rake.
The changes to the rake structure adopted by the Merge Gaming Network are identical to the structure used by PokerStars and according to the announcement on 2+2, the changes to the rake put Merge “…in a position to offer some of the best value fixed limit games, in relation to any of our competitors…”
October Nine approaching fast
The 2012 World Series of Poker final table is sneaking up on us this year, with the players set to return to the Rio to play for the biggest prize in poker. The nine remaining players will be back in action on October 28th, and here is how they will stack-up against one another:
* Seat 1: Russell Thomas – 24,800,000
* Seat 2: Jacob Balsiger – 13,115,000
* Seat 3: Jeremy Ausmus – 9,805,000
* Seat 4: Steven Gee – 16,860,000
* Seat 5: Greg Merson – 28,725,000
* Seat 6: Jesse Sylvia – 43,875,000
* Seat 7: Robert Salaburu – 15,155,000
* Seat 8: Andras Koroknai – 29,375,000
* Seat 9: Michael Esposito – 16,260,000
Poker Book wish-list
If you’re looking for the perfect gift for the man who has everything you could do worse than picking-up this poker book: A first edition, first printing, signed, leather-bound, copy of How I Made $1,000,000 Playing Poker by Doyle Brunson (this was the original title of Super System).
My favorite part of the book is the dedication, which dates the book to the late 1970’s, “May the flop be with you, Doyle Brunson”.
So if anyone wants to purchase it for me as a gift you can pick it up for a mere $3,500 (plus $7 for shipping): http://www.biblio.com/books/485482654.html
Tags: Ausmus, Balsiger, Bluff Magazine, Carbonpoker, cardplayer, Clean Sweep, Flagship, Gaming Network, Gpi, John Phan, Kyle Julius, Marvin, October 28th, Poker Player, Rake, Rettenmaier, Russell Thomas, Support Faq, World Series of Poker, World Series of Poker Final Table
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …