Online poker bill passes committee 41-22
The House Financial Services Committee easily passed HR 2267, a bill that would legalize and regulate certain forms of online gambling, including online poker. With 41 yea’s, 22 nay’s, and one congressman choosing to vote “Present”, the bill will now be sent to the House floor for further debate, modification, and the usual nonsensical speeches that accompany every piece of legislation.
The bill did see some amendments in the mark-up process, most notably prohibiting any online poker sites who have broken US law from attaining a license –this would include PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, and every other US-friendly poker-room—it remains to be seen if poker sites that catered to US players prior to 2006 will also be prohibited.
One good sign for poker players was the bipartisan support the bill received, since it bridges the gap between personal liberties and increased tax revenue; two points that Republicans and Democrats both agree on.
There is also a piece of companion legislation introduced by Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) which would set the taxation structure for licensed online gambling sites. There is also a slightly pared down version that was introduced in the Senate by Robert Menendez (D-NJ) which seeks to legalize only games of skill. The final product between the House and Senate would likely be a combination of the two bills.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …