Mike The Grinder Mizrachi owes $339k in taxes
Mike Mizrachi has close to $7 million in tournament winnings since 2005, but a few bad investments and the housing bubble collapse has seen the poker pro fall on hard times; culminating in his two properties being foreclosed upon according to Nick Sortal of the Sun Sentinel –one a rental property he owned jointly with his brother Robert in Hollywood FL, the other being his home in Miramar FL.
It’s unclear from the Sun Sentinel article if Mizrachi simply couldn’t pay the bills, or if the drop in value just made foreclosure a better option, which is what Mizrachi seemed to be alluding to when asked by the reporter Nick Sortal.
The story does shed some light on how difficult it is to be a full-time tournament pro, where buy-ins and travel expenses can approach $500,000 a year. Mizrachi, like most tournament players, sold “pieces” of his action to cover some of these expenses, and told the Sun Sentinel that of his winnings he had paid out $3.7 million to backers; but the entire tax burden fell on his shoulders.
Mizrachi said he has been playing more online poker at the moment, which keeps him closer to home and his wife and two children; has fired his accountant and hired a new one; and said “Obviously, I’m a better poker player than a businessman, but I’m getting better… I’ve smartened up. We’ll be OK.”
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …