Poker pro Mike “Timex” McDonald calling it quits at age 20
With the grand old men of poker like Doyle Brunson still banging away, Mike McDonald announced retirement at the ripe old age of 20 caught most of the poker world by surprise. McDonald made the announcement on his Cardrunners blog –where he is also an instructor—saying, “I just think at this point, I sort of feel no ambition towards poker…”
McDonald has been a force both in online poker, and on the tournament trail despite his age precluding him from taking part in many live tournaments, especially the lucrative stops on the World Poker Tour and the World Series of Poker since the legal age to gamble in the US is 21.
In his brief career McDonald has amassed over $2.6 million in live tournament winnings including his biggest payday which came at the EPT German Open.
McDonald went on to explain that he still loves poker and plans on playing, just not as a professional. He also did not rule out a comeback in the future; in fact he basically said the smart money would be on him returning to the felt.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …