Irishman Emmett Mullin wins PokerStars UKIPT Galway
On Monday Irishman Emmett Mullin captured the latest PokerStars UKIPT title, winning the Season III stop in Galway. A total of 698 players entered the tournament over the course of the two starting days, all parting with the €700 entry fee.
Mullin almost gave the United Kingdom credit for the win after agreeing to a seemingly innocuous at the time stipulation after Day 1b of the tournament. According to the PokerStars Blog, apparently the UKIPT reporting crew misstated Emmett Mullin’s country of origin as the United Kingdom, something a proud Irishman could never let go uncorrected, so “Mully” as he is called by his friends contacted the UKIPT, telling them of their error: “In the updates im down as being from the United Kingdom, is there any way this can be changed to Ireland?” The UKIPT told Mullin no problem, BUT if he won the tournament they would call him English. Fortunately for Mully the UKIPT didn’t hold him to the agreement.
In the end the final table featured nine players (not the usual eight players) as Day 2 of the tournament dragged on well into the wee hours of the morning, at which point tournament officials decided to call it a day, and reconvene for the final day of the event with nine players instead of eight. Here is a look at how those final nine players fared according to the PokerStars Blog:
1. Emmett Mullin, Omagh, Ireland, €100,000
2. Ronan Gilligan, Ireland, PokerStars qualifier, €73,650
3. Joe Roberts, United Kingdom, PokerStars qualifier, €51,900
4. Craig Burke, Ireland, €30,750
5. Aleksandras Rusinovas, Lithuania, PokerStars qualifier, €24,150
6. John Willoughby, Ireland, PokerStars qualifier, €19,400
7. Nick Abou Risk, Canada, PokerStars player, €14,700
8. Richard Haile, United Kingdom, PokerStars qualifier, €10,900
9. Joris Ruijs, Netherlands, PokerStars qualifier, €7,800
The winner of the tournament was slated to pocket €114,900, but a deal during the latter stages of the tournament’s final table saw the payout structure altered slightly, with Mully walking away with the first six-figure score of his poker career. According to thehendonmob.com’s database Emmett Mullin had a total of $5,289 in career tournament winnings before pocketing €100,000 on Monday, which led to the following quote by the new UKIPT Champion on the PokerStars Blog: “It’s unbelievable,” he said, after defeating Ronan Gilligan heads up. “I’ve actually won a tournament as big as this, with such a tough field…It’s been a bit of a drain but there’s a buzz at the minute. We’ll have a few drinks tonight.”
In all 81 players made the money in the UKIPT Galway Main Event, including Hendon Mobber Barny Boatman who finished the tournament in 76th place.
PokerNewsBoy will be conducting an interview with the recently crowned UKIPT Galway Champion, Emmett Mullin (He just doesn’t know it yet) which we hope to have up on the site in the coming days.
We would like to give a special thanks to the PokerStars Blog for the tournament report and payouts from the event. And a big congrats to Mully.
Tags: Abou, Canada, Country Of Origin, Craig, Friends, Galway, Haile, Irishman, Joe Roberts, John Ireland, John Willoughby, Latter Stages, Mullin, Netherlands, Omagh Ireland, Pokerstars Blog, Reconvene, Risk, Ronan, Stipulation, Tournament Officials, Wee Hours
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …