South Carolina judge: Poker a game of skill and legal
After appeal, a second South Carolina court has declared that poker is not illegal gambling. The ruling is seen as another step forward in the battle to get poker legalized in all 50 states, as well as in legalizing and regulating online poker.
The ruling was handed down by Judge R. Markley Dennis, who said in his ruling: “the men were caught playing a game of skill, not chance, and that their activity could therefore not be considered illegal gambling.”
Judge Markley cited two critical points in his decision: First was the overwhelming evidence that skill far outweighs luck in poker: His second point was that the laws governing illegal gambling were broad and vague. The latter is a point of contention in many court cases involving poker; advocates cite the vague laws as a way for law enforcement to cherry-pick who gets prosecuted, and the definition of “illegal gambling” is left up to the individual.
2 Responses to “South Carolina judge: Poker a game of skill and legal”
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …