$3,500 WPT Championship Event begins Saturday
The highly anticipated WPT Borgata Open begins this weekend: The WPT Championship Event garnered tremendous attention when tournament directors announced that the event’s buy-in would be lowered to $3,500 with a guaranteed prize-pool of $2 million.
This marks the first time a major live tournament has decided to use one of the online poker world’s best marketing tools: the guaranteed prize-pool.
The drastic decrease in the Main-Event’s buy-in –from $10,000 to $3,500– has caused many insiders to speculate if the tournament will lose some of the prestige that is normally associated with a $10k Championship Event. There is a certain amount of prestige that goes with winning a $10k buy-in tournament: Very few players have the bankroll to enter these events, which generally means less players, but better overall play.
After all, can you name the winners from the World Series of Poker preliminary events? Now how about the Main Event, the $10k championship events, or the $50k H.OR.S.E.? Most casual fans will have a decent shot at knowing a few of the big tournament winners. Dropping a tournament’s buy-in down to $3,500 has a tendency to cheapen the finished product: But, the Borgata needs to look at the bottom line, and as a poker fan I hope the lower buy-in will create a better tournament.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …