Poker’s top players shine at WPT Malta
While the WPT Borgata Poker Open was busy setting the record for the largest field in WPT history, another WPT tournament series was taking place across the Atlantic, as the WPT made its first visit to the island nation of Malta. And even though the WPT Borgata Poker Open drew the bigger crowd (1,332, to 240), the WPT Malta definitely trumped the Borgata in terms of star-power.
Pretty much every big name in poker is spending the end of the summer in Europe, as the European tournament schedule is in full swing; with upcoming stops including the EPT London and the WSOP Europe, so it was unsurprising that the amongst the 240 entrants in the WPT Malta were players like Tony G, Phil Hellmuth, November Niner Matt Gianetti, and two online pros who recently changed their mailing address to Malta, Ike Haxton and Justin Bonomo.
At the time of writing, Tony G, Matt Gianetti, Simon Trumper, Marvin Rettenamier, Ike Haxton, and Phil Helmuth are all thriving in the tournament, but the true story on Day 2 of the WPT Malta has been the absolute domination by Cecilia Pescaglini, who has nearly twice the chips of the player on the #2 spot on the leader-board, Tony G, with about 50 players still in the hunt for the title.
Here is a look at the top 10 chip counts as Day 2 of the WPT Malta Main Event winds down:
1. Cecilia Pescaglini — 660,000
2. Tony G — 332,000
3. Matt Giannetti — 290,000
4. Filippo Bianchi — 280,000
5. Vitalii Minakov — 280,000
6. Marvin Rettenmaier — 250,000
7. Simon Trumper — 240,000
8. Isaac Haxton — 215,000
9. Nesrine Kourdourli — 200,000
10. Tony Sanguedolce — 190,000
Phil Hellmuth is just outside the top 10 with 160k in chips.
Tags: Borgata, Cecilia, EPT, Filippo Bianchi, Full Swing, Gianetti, Giannetti, Haxton, Island Nation, Justin Bonomo, Leader Board, main event, Nesrine, Niner, phil hellmuth, Phil Helmuth, Simon Trumper, Star Power, WPT, WSOP
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …