WPT Borgata Poker Open sets attendance record
The World Poker Tour has always had a strong East Coast presence; two of the most anticipated stops on the tour have always been at the Borgata and Foxwoods, but I don’t think anyone was ready for the types of attendance the Borgata Poker Open has been putting up in the last two years.
Last year tournament officials for the WPT Borgata Poker Open made the decision to drop the buy-in of their championship tournament from the typical $10,000 all the way down to a mere $3,500. Furthermore, they also upped the ante by setting a $2 million guarantee on the prize-pool. Since both moves were a first of their kind for the WPT the jury was out on whether the changes would be successful.
Well, after 1,018 players registered for the tournament last year it was a slam-dunk case for the jury: Absolute success! Coming off of last year’s attendance record the Borgata kept the same format for their 2010 tournament, and once again they set an attendance record, this time drawing 1,042 total entrants.
One change the tournament did implement was to use a flatter payout structure, so the winner of the tournament will walk away with $733,802 compared to Olivier Busquet’s $925,514 haul from a year ago, despite a higher total prize-pool.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …