2010 WSOP update: $50k Players Championship
With a change in format from HORSE to an 8-Game Mix –including a final table of exclusively No Limit Holdem– the WSOP was able to get the $50k Players Championship back into the ESPN TV schedule. The higher-ups were hoping that the additional exposure for the event on ESPN would boost attendance numbers for the event, which dipped to just 95 players in 2009 –the tournament routinely drew in the around 150 players in previous years when it was shown on TV.
The 2010 tournament did see a rise in attendance, with 116 players anteing up the $50,000 buy-in, but still fell far short of previous years. One reason may be the more economical tournaments the WSOP has added contain a lot more dead money which might be a more attractive proposition to middle tier poker pros.
At the end of play on Day 1 –the event is scheduled for 4 days—110 players still remained in the running led by Erik Sagstrom. Since pretty much every player is notable all 6 players who were sent packing on Day 1 are recognizable names, but most notably were Tom Dwan and Brian Townsend.
Day 2 play will resume later today, and you can expect close to half the field to be eliminated, as well as a few players to start pulling away from the pack.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …