Countdown to the 2012 WSOP: Triple Crown contenders
With eight Seasons of the PokerStars European Poker Tour and 10 Seasons of the World Poker Tour in the books, there are a couple of players running around who have completed those two legs of the Triple Crown. And with over 60 bracelets up for grabs at the 2012 WSOP it’s quite likely that at least one of these players may join the very select group of Triple Crown winners in poker history: Gavin Griffin, Roland de Wolfe, Jake Cody, and Bertrand Grospellier (David Kitai has a triple Crown as well, but his WPT win came in an invitation event giving it an asterisk).
Here is a look at the two players who are a WSOP bracelet from winning the Triple Crown:
* WPT Triple Crown Leg: 2011 WPT Bratislava Main Event winner
* EPT Triple Crown Leg: 2010 EPT Prague Main Event winner
Romanello is one of the top tournament players in Europe and is part of the young group of British poker pros who have been dominating the live poker scene (Romanello is of Italian descent but lives in Wales).
Romanello nearly captured the Triple Crown last October during the WSOP Europe tournament series when he finished in 5th place in the $1,000 NLHE event. Romanello has had little success at the WSOP aside from his one final table over the years, but he is such a proficient and consistent player it’s only a matter of time before he earns his first WSOP bracelet, and joins the ranks of poker’s Triple Crown winners.
* WPT Triple Crown Leg: 2011 WPT Prague Main Event winner
* EPT Triple Crown Leg: 2010 EPT San Remo Main Event winner
Pateychuk is the most recent Russian sensation in poker (there seems to be a new one every year) and his rise to prominence began at the 2011 WSOP Main Event where he finished in 15th place. Since then Pateychuk has won a WPT and an EPT title, and should he pocket a bracelet at the 2012 WSOP will have somehow managed to better Jake Cody’s record of winning the Triple Crown in the span of 16 months – a record I felt was near impossible to beat!
Pateychuk has been fairly quiet in 2012, but with a Triple Crown on the lined I expect him to go all out at the 2012 WSOP.
Tags: Asterisk, Bertrand Grospellier, Bratislava, Consistent Player, Eight Seasons, Italian Descent, Kitai, Matter Of Time, Poker Books, Poker Pros, Prominence, Romanello, Select Group, Triple Crown Contenders, Triple Crown Winners, Two Legs, World Poker Tour, WPT, WSOP Main Event, Young Group
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …