Harrah’s denies rumors that WSOP leave the Rio
Leading up to the World Series of Poker Main Event Final Table there was an increasing number of rumors in the poker world that this would be the last year the WSOP was held at the Rio. Many in the industry felt that further growth for the tournament would necessitate relocating the prestigious tournament to one of Harrah’s on-Strip properties like Planet Hollywood or Caesar’s Palace.
The World Series of Poker moved to the Rio in 2005, after 35 years at Binion’s Horseshoe in Downtown Las Vegas –although the 2005 Main Event was played at Binions. WSOP Communications Director Seth Palansky told coinflip.com, “Rumors are just that; rumors… [The] WSOP will return to the Rio in 2011 and for several years ahead. We are already hard at work for Series #42 and welcome the poker world to the Rio in May 2011.”
While the Rio has had little trouble handling the throngs of players who register for the event, and also has the enormous Penn & Teller Theater to use for the final table festivities, the property is well off the Strip and therefore not prime Las Vegas real estate.
With a few innovations the WSOP did see attendance numbers increase this year for the Main Event, attracting the second largest field in tournament history.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …