Nguyen and McEvoy join the Poker Hall of Fame
The Poker Hall of Fame induction panel had 10 good choices to pick from (not the 10 players I would specifically choose, but 10 very good choices) and in the end the collection of living Hall of Fame members and select members of the poker media settled on Scotty Nguyen and Tom McEvoy.
Both men were on the nomination list for the fifth time since the voting was opened up to the public, and both selections were a bit of surprise considering neither man was given much of a chance by the numerous prognosticators who discussed the 2013 finalists in columns and on social media –myself included.
Oddly, McEvoy’s shortcomings were in his results, while Nguyen’s had to do with his behavior, specifically a forgettable final table on his way to the 2008 WSOP Players Championship victory.
A lot of people are probably scratching their heads at this selection considering McEvoy’s results are somewhat pedestrian when we are talking Hall of Fame worthiness –4 WSOP bracelets including the 1983 WSOP Main Event– but as was the case with Mike Sexton a couple years ago; the results are only part of Tom McEvoy’s poker resume.
* Since his WSOP victory in 1983 McEvoy has authored/co-authored over a dozen poker books and was a regular columnist for Cardplayer Magazine for years.
* McEvoy still contributes at other outlets from writing to teaching at poker seminars.
* McEvoy was the first player to win the World Series of Poker Main Event after winning his seat in a satellite tournament.
* McEvoy was a key figure in the fight to make poker rooms smoke-free.
With over $12 million in career tournament earnings, 5 WSOP bracelets including the 1998 Main Event, a WPT title, and a slew of other big wins Scotty seems like a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But Scotty’s antics during the 2008 $50k Players Championship left such a sour taste in many people’s mouths that the five year wait to be inducted was essentially the HOF voters’ way of punishing him.
Scotty dominated poker tournaments for a 10 year span from about 1995-2004, finishing in the top 38 earners for the year in eight of those 10 years according to the Hendon Mob database. Scotty also had a seven year stretch where he finished in the Top 50 earners in poker every year.
2013 Poker Hall of Fame Induction ceremony
Nguyen and McEvoy will be inducted into the Poker Hall of Fame on November 3 at the Rio during the WSOP Main Event final table.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …