WSOP Kicks Off with a $50k Players Championship
Today marks the start of the 2010 World Series of Poker, and the two tournaments slated for action are the highest and lowest buy-ins of the entire 57 tournament series.
At the low end of the scale is the $500 buy-in Casino Employees Event, an event that has been a WSOP staple for years. The event is limited to Las Vegas casino employees, but some of the bigger name tournament directors and card-room managers have been known to take part in the event. The event has also been the catalyst of one notable poker player’s career; Thang Luu. Following his win in the Casino Employees event, Luu has gone on to win two bracelets, and has dominated the Omaha 8 events at the WSOP over the past few years.
On the opposite side of the spectrum is the reformatted $50k buy-in Players Championship. The format for the $50k tournament has been changed this year from HORSE to an 8-Game Mix that will feature a final table of strictly No Limit Holdem –the change was made to help the event’s TV exposure as it was dropped from last year’s WSOP lineup on ESPN, along with all non-Holdem tournaments, which created a dramatic decrease in participation.
The tournament’s winner will still receive the Chip Reese Memorial Trophy, named for the late Chip Reese who won the inaugural $50k buy-in HORSE tournament in 2006.
Leave a Reply
High Stakes News
- • Philipp Gruissem wins another Super High Roller
- • Huge cash game rumored to be taking place at Aria
- • Isildur1 starts fast in PokerStars $1 mil Freezeout
- • High Stakes Poker Games Still In Demand
- • Poker’s best take part in the Million Dollar Cash Game
- • Phil Galfond advocates sweeping changes to online poker
- • Ilari Sahamies is biggest online poker winner in 2011
- • Is Sam Trickett the best poker player in the world?
- • Isildur1 back and crushing the games at PokerStars
RummyRoyal.com giving away a Free $5 to new players
Online Rummy players can take advantage of an exciting new promotion a …
Lock Poker announces new exclusive tournament schedule
The Revolution Gaming Network has overhauled their tournament schedule …
Receive $10 Free from Winner Poker
Winner Poker is now offering new players at the site a free $10 deposi …
New Full Tilt VIP Program targets high-volume players
After recently dropping to #4 in the traffic rankings, according to po …